Mission & Priorities
The Milwaukee Education Partnership (MEP) was formed by educators and civic leaders with the overarching goal to improve the education of children through better teacher preparation, recruitment and retention. As the MEP grew, the mission expanded to ensure every child in Milwaukee Public Schools (MPS) and the Racine Unified Schools District (RUSD) is performing at or above grade level in reading, writing, mathematics and science through shared responsibility for student success. The MEP will seek to help MPS and RUSD navigate the challenges facing large urban school districts, including:
- Raising graduation rates
- Advocating for public education
- Improving student learning and access to higher education opportunities
- Professional development of teachers and administrators
- Expanding unique partnerships and identifying resources to support its mission
The MEP further seeks to assist in the economic development of the Southeastern Wisconsin region by attracting professionals graduating from Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) in the fields of education, engineering, healthcare and information technology.
“Our partnership with the MEP supports the work that MPS does every day to ensure that our students are prepared to thrive socially and economically but to also fully engage civically in our communities.”
Dr. Keith Posley, Superintendent, Milwaukee Public Schools
Since its inception in 1999 as the Milwaukee Partnership Academy, or MPA, the primary goals of the MEP have remained constant. They are:
- Assist Milwaukee children in obtaining grade level proficiency or beyond in reading, writing, mathematics and science.
- Provide greater opportunities for Milwaukee youth to obtain a two-year or four-year higher education degree.
- Provide support to teachers and administrators through high quality professional development programs.
Our partners include more than 70 organizations as well as over 30 HBCU institutions. The senior leaders of a core group of these function as the MEP’s Executive Partners. The Executive Partners set the framework for the collaborations that their institutions and others will engage in and to review for support items and initiatives related to our mission and priorities.